My Photo
Name:
Location: Southington, Connecticut, United States

Thursday, August 09, 2007

Defining Value

Value: 1. A fair equivalent or return for something as in goods or services., 2. Worth as measured in usefulness or importance; merit.

Sounds pretty simple when you read the dictionary's definition, doesn't it? But the reality is that when you sit down to write that check, the palms start to sweat, the butterflies start in the stomach and the second guessing starts and usually continues for a few days after you've written the check.

The problem is that "Value" means different things to different people. Some of our clients place a greater importance on the flowers, some on the cake, while still others find the ceremony or the dress to be the most important consideration.

Just as an example, one of my passions is working on my Jeep 4x4. I have wonderful brand new tools that fill two tool boxes, yet the most cherished tools I own are the ones left to me by my Grandfather. Whenever I get the chance to use one of his tools to complete a job, I feel as though he were here helping me - like he used to when I was young.

The point is that I value those old, beat-up, rusty and worn tools because of what they symbolize to me and if my house were to be robbed, I would hope they took the new tools and left me the ones that mean the most to me. I value the old stuff.

When it comes to vendors, value may take on a slightly different meaning. For instance; Christy and I work as a husband and wife team. She helps our clients with the planning, execution and guidance of the day while I do the heavy lifting, set-up, technical items and the actual entertaining. When you compare us to a DJ that simply shows up the day of your wedding to play the tunes, you can see where value comes into play. You get more bang for the buck with us than you would with an entertainer of the same or lower price who simply entertains.

The same holds true for caterers, photographers, bartenders, etc. How many people are included for the price? What service do each of those people perform? How many of those people will be there the day of the wedding? Do they subcontract or swap out employees without notice? In other words, exactly what are you getting for your money. That's how you should be determining "Value".

The best advice I can give a client is to be sure you are comparing apples to apples. If one disc jockey is half the price of another, ask each of them exactly what they are going to do for you. If both promise exactly the same services and you are on a budget, then obviously you have a valid reason for choosing the cheaper of the two. If, however, the cheaper of the two disc jockeys, does nothing more than play music, you can clearly see why he would be the cheaper of the two. You are simply not getting the same level of service as you would from the more expensive entertainer. Don't forget that a vendors' reputation also comes into play and that's hard to put a price tag on.

If the more expensive DJ will be an asset to not only your planning, but to the actual day itself, then you must consider the value he or she can bring to your day for the extra cash. Also, don't forget that many times those of us who plan weddings can actually save you money in the long run because we can prevent you from making costly mistakes and point you to vendors that we have worked with in the past that are reliable, professional and give you the most value for your hard earned dollar.

Value is something that only you can determine. It's a personal decision that you and your partner must define. Remember to compare like services, consider reputation, then look at price and go with your gut.

See you next month.

Ron

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home