My Photo
Name:
Location: Southington, Connecticut, United States

Wednesday, January 31, 2007

To JP or not JP, That Is The Question.

Where has the time gone? If you’re looking for my blogs from October, November and December, you can stop looking. I was so busy that I just couldn’t get to them, but let’s get back to blogging, shall we?

This month I’m going to cover a topic that came up from one of my clients, concerning the ceremony itself. A Justice of the Peace ceremony, to be specific. The details covered here relate only to a Connecticut ceremony. If you are using a J.P., please consult with your state as to how the laws of that state apply to you.

This particular client had hired me to perform disc jockey and emcee duties at her reception and later remembered that I had mentioned that I was a justice of the peace at our initial consultation. She phoned and asked me if I would be willing to consider what may be a strange request. I replied that I was willing to listen. She then explained to me that she and her partner were planning a totally unconventional and simple affair with little or no formality.

She went on to tell me that she wanted her boyfriends’ uncle to perform the ceremony and that I would only be required to sign the paperwork. She also mentioned that she knew of other JP’s who have done this, so she thought it would be okay. She must have sensed that I was a little apprehensive because she asked if I was comfortable with this.

I replied, very honestly, that I had no problem doing anything for my clients, as long as it was within the law and that I would have to do some checking into the legality of this and get back to her. After a few phone calls to the Secretary of State’s office and the local Registrar of Voters, it was very clear that if I did this, I was putting my client in a position of possibly not having a legal marriage, especially if someone at the ceremony challenged the legality of it. It was also explained to me that it might make some of the guests in attendance feel “cheated” if they did not witness an actual ceremony. I got the distinct impression that the person I was speaking to, was speaking from experience – he was totally adamant about it. You could just feel it in his voice.

I phoned her back tell her of my discovery and that I would be willing to perform an actual, but very brief, ceremony either before or after the uncles words. I tried to talk her into having the uncle do his part only to have me step in at the very end and pronounce them man and wife publicly. We are still working things out as of this blog but I thought, as with all of my blogs, that sharing the events that come up, which are out of the ordinary, just may help another bride out there cope or decide what to do for her event.

In any case, here are a few facts as they pertain to CT, JP ceremonies’:

The marriage license must be issued by the registrar of vital statistics either in the town in which either person to be joined resides OR in the town where the ceremony will take place.

The JP requires that the bride and groom are the same persons named on the license.

The signatures of the bride, groom and registrar of vital statistics must be on the marriage license.

The raised seal of the registrar of vital statistics MUST be on the license.

The license must not have expired prior to the wedding date.

The bride and groom DO NOT get the marriage certificate - It MUST be completed in BLACK INK, signed by the JP and returned TO THE TOWN IN WHICH THE MARRIAGE TOOK PLACE as soon as possible.

Remember, as a justice of the peace, I have an obligation to not only my clients, but also to the State of Connecticut and all the laws that apply to that state and the office of JP.

Justice of the Peace is a political office with deep roots and history in Connecticut and making sure my clients have a real, bona-fide and legal marriage, is the main concern. Making it beautiful, heartfelt, touching and memorable is just, well, icing on the cake!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home