My Photo
Name:
Location: Southington, Connecticut, United States

Sunday, February 25, 2007

A Wedding Favor

This months blog came to me while I was thinking about Valentines Day and the upcoming wedding season. With the season kicking off in only a month, it won't be long until brides start asking me about advice on favors and bridal party gifts. So I got to thinking.

While thumbing through a magazine, I had seen an ad from an animal shelter picturing a puppy with sad eyes looking lovingly into the camera lens as if to say; "Please take me home!" And that's when it hit me. This month's blog!

Many of my brides over the years have opted to donate money to thier favorite charity in lieu of the traditional types of wedding favors, some have even given out small cards that read: "In place of a favor, a tree has been planted in your name." What a great idea. It sure beats a bag of candied almonds, doesn't it?

So here's my suggestion. Being the huge animal lover that I am, I'm asking you to consider donating the money you'd normally spend on favors, to your local or state humane society or no-kill animal shelter and place a card at each of your guest's seats, stating that in place of a favor, a donation has been made in your name to the humane society. Maybe you could actually picture a few of the animals at your local chapter that the money would go to help, with some info about each animal and how they could be adopted, if your guest was interested in doing so. This can be done quickly and cheaply with a visit to the shelter, a digital camera and a few hours of work on your computer and printer.

If I ever become wealthy, this is how I plan to spend a lot of my dollars and time. It is one of our saddest travesties in America, that so many perfectly healthy and lovable animals go unwanted and unloved - only to be disposed of.

To go a step further, if you're thinking of getting your partner that perfect gift that says "I love you", why not think about doing it with a rescue animal. It's a gift that can even love you back, unconditionally.

A wedding is a celebration of love and the start of a new life together. Why not consider making your new start, a new start for some deserving, unwanted dog or cat? Of course, please make sure you have the time and funds to devote to an animal before jumping head long into adoption, but if you do, thanks in advance.

You can find out more about saving a life right here at the following organizations:

The Ct Humane Society - http://www.cthumane.org/site/PageServer

Animals For Life - http://www.animalsforlifect.org/ 203-267-6777
Adoption Hours Thur. 5-7 PM, Sat. & Sun. 12-3 PM

ASPCA - www.aspca.org Linda Tiramani, Manager of Special Giving, 110 Fifth Avenue, Second Floor, New York, Newe York 10011, e-mail: lindat@aspca.org, 212-876-7700, ext. 4516

Thanks for considering this 'wedding favor'.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home